General Information | Coffey Funeral Home, Inc. | Tarrytown NY funeral home and cremation
site image

General Information

Please browse this page and feel free to contact us with any questions or comments about these or any other concerns. You may call us at 914-631-0983 or simply email us by clicking here.

  • Death Certificate and Certified Copies - This is the permanent legal record of the death. Certified copies are required to show proof of the death. They are usually needed to settle death claims (i.e. life insurance) or in changing ownership of assets (i.e. real estate, bank accounts, stocks, bonds, etc.). 
  • Social Security - The current death benefit is $255 and is payable only to a surviving spouse or to dependent children. In some instances, the surviving spouse's monthly benefit may increase. If there are dependent children who are under the age of 18 (or over 18 and enrolled full-time in school), there are usually monthly benefits paid for/to these children. The toll-free number is 1-800-772-1213 from 7am to 7pm or call us for assistance.
  • Veterans Benefits - The Veterans Administration provides benefits for a veteran's family if they can provide a copy of discharge papers which indicate an honorable discharge. These benefits include a flag, burial in a national veterans cemetery, a grave marker, and military honors at the graveside. If burial is in a veterans cemetery, a grave can also be reserved for a surviving spouse. 
  • Changing Automobile Ownership - YOUR LOCAL phone and address. It is important to notify your insurance agent to confirm continued coverage during the period from the date of death to the time the registration is transferred. 
  • Life Insurance - If you are the beneficiary, life insurance claims must be submitted with a certified copy of the death certificate. Call the company or your agent to request a claim form; the funeral home will obtain a certified copy of the death certificate for you. The claim form is usually easy to understand and can be completed in a few minutes. If you need help with this, you may call your agent, the insurance company, or we will be glad to help you. If you plan to use the proceeds toward payment of the funeral expenses, we will provide an assignment form and submit it to the insurance company.
  • Changing Real Estate Ownership- These transfers are dependent on the provisions of the will. It is best to consult with your attorney concerning this.
  • Wills and Probate- give basic legal information and a list of probate offices

© 2024 Coffey Funeral Home, Inc.. All Rights Reserved. Funeral Home website by CFS & TA | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Accessibility